Our History

Henry Maxwell was founded in 1750. Originally a famous spur-maker (we keep Maxwell’s spur collection at 83 Jermyn Street), Maxwell thrived on the use of the horse for battle, ceremony, hunting, sport and personal transport, and ultimately supplied boots for cavalry regiments, hunting, polo etc. By the early 19th century the firm was prospering internationally, exhibited at the 1851 Great Exhibition and was awarded the first of its many Royal Warrants by King George IV. By the early 20th century, Henry Maxwell had grown dramatically, supplying boots, shoes and a wide range of riding and hunting accessories across the British Empire from shops in London and Paris.

Early in the 20th century the firm absorbed the Royal military bootmakers
Faulkner & Son and traded successfully from 8&9 Dover Street, off Piccadilly,
then from Savile Row and 177 New Bond Street in the ownership of Savile Row tailors Huntsman. In 1999, the business moved to Vigo Street before settling in 83 Jermyn Street, the home of its sister company Foster & Son, where it continues to prosper in the same private ownership.